I haven’t made this for the longest time, because my older son for some reason won’t eat rice in any format (grrr), but I am making it tonight, so thought I’d post the recipe whilst it’s fresh in my mind!
This is NOT a “restaurant risotto”. I am perfectly happy to use Oxo stock cubes. Normal risotto recipes have you make up stock beforehand and then ladel the stock in ladel by ladel. I am a lazy cow, and prefer to add one stock cube before the liquid, then just boil a kettle and pour the water in bit by bit. Yes, lazy. I know. 😀 Seasoning can be tweaked at the end.
Looks gorgeous, tastes gorgeous- what more do you want?! 🙂
Chicken & Chorizo Rizotto (serves 4-6)
2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
c. 100g chorizo sausage, good quality, cut into 1cm cubes
200g arborio or other risotto rice
1 red onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, depending on taste, finely chopped
1 green chili, chopped finely (if you like it- omit if not!)
1 glass white wine
1-2 chicken stock cubes (depending on taste)
100g mushrooms, sliced
120g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 celery sticks; cleaned and sliced
1-2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
150ml half fat creme fraiche
40g freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinking if you like!!)
1 dsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter and oil in a large pan. Add chopped chicken breast and cook over a medium heat for approx. 2-3 minutes
2. Add chorizo and onion. Cook for about 3 minutes- the fat in the chorizo will melt very appealingly and let the paprika in the sausage caramelise the onion- YUM!
3. Add garlic and chili and cook for one minute more. Add mushrooms and cook for approx. 3 minutes.
4. Add rice and combine thoroughly. Add glass of wine. Stir well. Let mixture reduce until wine is absorbed.
5. Add stock cube. Then add water from kettle, a little by a little, allowing all the water to be absorbed between pourings!
6. After 25 minutes or so, the rice should be cooked and a taste of the food should confirm that it tastes FAB!
7. In last few minutes, add the celery, chives, parmesan and creme fraiche. Stir well lover low heat until cheese is melted and the whole dish looks gorgeous and creamy. Serve immediately!
Hope you like it! 🙂